Tourist Commission announces 2021 Run/Walk Series
LULING — Residents of the River Parishes are encouraged to lace up their kicks for the new Run/Walk Series, sponsored by the Louisiana’s River Parishes Tourist Commission. The series, which consists of four events, is a culmination of the collaborative effort between Buddy Boe, executive director of LARPTC, and Chuck George, race director and president of New Orleans Running Systems, which is organizing the event.
The inaugural event in the series, the “Gator Run/Walk,” will begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, May 15, at West Bank Bridge Park, located at 13825 River Road in Luling.
The series schedule includes:
- May 15: Gator 5k & ½ Mile Run/Walk, in Luling
- Aug. 28: Grammercy Veterans Memorial Bridge 5k, in Edgard
- Sept. 25: Riverside Oaks 5K, in Convent
- Nov. 20: Old Highway 51 Half-Marathon, 10 Mile, 5K, in Manchac
- Participants who complete all four of the race series events will earn a custom “Louisiana River Parishes Run/Walk Series” finisher medallion.
The “Gator” kickoff event features a 5k run and a ½ mile walk option on the River Levee jogging trail. A percentage of the event’s proceeds will benefit the Boy Scout Troop #107.
George hopes to draw at least 300 participants to the “Gator Run/Walk.”
“We want to use these events to bring an awareness of the great running and walking events in the River Parishes region. People of all abilities can participate, enjoy the experience and receive an award – it’s not just runners,” said George.
Online registration for the Gator event ends at 11 p.m. May 9. In-person registration is available during the pre-race packet pickup event and on the day of the race at the event site. Participants can choose from a variety of signup options, including:
- Virtual Run/Walk – The entry fee is $25. New Orleans Running Systems will mail the race bib number, T-shirt, and finisher medallion to the address used for registration.
- General Registration Division 5K or 1/2 Mile – The entry fee is $25 for those ages 18-64 by April 30, $30 by May 9, or $35 on race day.
- Youth or Senior Registration division for 5K or 1/2 Mile – The entry fee (through the day of the race) is $20 for youth (Age 17-under) or seniors (Age 65-over).
The pre-race day packet pickup event, which will occur from 4-6 p.m. on Thursday, May 13, is hosted by Varsity Sports. A packet pickup will also be available during the race site opening at 7 a.m. Parking for the event will be available at the West Bridge Park. Event times are as follows: 7 a.m., Race Day Registration and Packet Pickup; 8 a.m., Start of the 1/2 Mile Run/Walk; 8:15 a.m., Start of the 5K Run/Walk Course.
Partners for this event include Spuddy’s Cajun Cooking Experience, Yuengling, Kentwood Springs, Chee Wees, and Varsity Sports, to name a few. Brooks Shoes is a series co-sponsor and will award a pair of shoes to the overall first-place male and female winners for the series.
For more information, visit raceroster.com/events/2021/46916/west-bank-bridge-park-gator-runwalk.
Sheriff Greg Champagne announces the arrest of Brian Lumar for one count of Misdemeanor Sexual Battery. On April 26, 2021,... read more